Cheap living isn't as easy to do as I would have thought it was. Oh sure, I could live cheaply by being a leech and living off of others kindness or skipping out on bills, but that is not the kind of cheap I am talking about, that seems to be more of a cheap*ss who has no character.

The cheap living I speak of is one that involves patience, integrity, timing and bit of luck.

Patience: To be cheap and yet get consumables that I need or want, I need patience to wait it out.

Currently I need to upgrade my table and chairs, the current one I have is slowly breaking down because it wasn't made well. To find these table and chairs I am watching the dumpster and searching craigslist to get a low price on a quality set, so far I haven't found what I wanted but I know I will eventually.

Integrity: When I do find a great deal I want to make sure this will be a win-win for both the seller and myself, I will feel better about it.

Last year I bought a brand new recliner from an older lady who let it slip that she tried to sell the recliner for $40 dollars and no one took it, but was glad someone came to get it for the $25 she offered for it. Since it was only a $15 difference and the chair was brand new, never sat in. I didn't feel the price was that big of a deal, so I paid her the $40 and she was happy and I felt good about helping her out a little.

Timing: Just when it appears you are on the last straw, things seem to work out.

A few years back my dresser drawers were falling apart, a dresser I bought new from a local retail store and I needed a replacement. Well two days after taking the dresser to the dumpster in my complex, I stumbled across an old, well made dresser sitting right there at the dumpster waiting for me.

I guess you could call that a bit of luck as well, but overall when I want to live cheaply I make sure I use my patience, buy with integrity and realize that timing and luck have a hand in the process as well.


****If you like what you are reading here you can subscribe to my site via news reader or email for regular updates.

3 Comments

  1. Anonymous // Friday, March 13, 2009 10:48:00 PM  

    It is sad the fact that some people lose all integrity in the face of trying to be "frugal". Great points!

  2. Anonymous // Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:21:00 PM  

    Hello!

    I just wanted to pop out of lurking for a minute to invite you and your readers to visit a new site that a friend of mine is launching on Monday, 3/16. The site is BudgetArtists.com. My friend Tricia is a freelance writer and mom of 4 who knows all about the need to stretch a dollar as far as it can go. She felt a strong need to do something to help people that are struggling with the economy right now, and so she's worked hard to start this new website.

    I know how passionate she is about it and I'm just doing my little bit to help her spread the news. She's having giveaways ever day and free seminars on things like job hunting and car repair and home management... so I hope ya'll will drop by and say hello!

    Thanks.

    xoxo - Shauntelle @ A Beautiful Abode

  3. Anonymous // Friday, March 20, 2009 7:53:00 AM  

    We do the same thing and it's nice to see someone else doing it, too. Patience leads to getting what you need/want. We also keep a look out at all times for things that we're looking for. It's not insurance you'll get *everything* you need but just about.
    Jerry
    www.leads4insurance.com