Since being downsized by my fulltime job and relying on my part-time job, I have signed up for health insurance through my part-time job only to find out that dental is not included in medical insurance options. Since I don't want a year like I had in 2009 when I had to get 2 crowns, I have been keeping up with the brushing and flossing but have yet to get to a dentist in almost a year for a cleaning.

However, I am signed up for Groupon(aff.) and have found a few deals that have spoken to me, such as some museum tickets that were 56% off and the Denver Post subscription and then this  dental exam, x-ray, cleaning and teeth whitening kit for $29. I had to make the appointment for 3 weeks out, which really isn't that bad. I have yet to bite into the idea of picking up dental insurance and after this appointment I will be closer to deciding if I should get it or not.

Question 1: Any perspective from you all on the dental insurance?

After receiving a sample deodorant from Secret and using it once, the sample product fell apart with the top half breaking off from the bottom. Since the trial period wasn't what I hoped I decided to write to them and see if they would send another sample out to me. They responded with, "Thanks for contacting Secret, Dawn.
I'm sorry about your experience with our Secret Clinical Strength Sample. We'd love to make it up to you, and since you provided your name and postal address, I'm sending you something in the mail I hope you'll enjoy.  You should receive it within the next 2-3 weeks.
I hope you'll find it was worth the wait!
"

And after waiting a week, I received a regular size deodorant instead of the sample with a few coupons. Well worth the 2 minutes to email them.  I have yet to have a poor experience writing a company. It worked with the chocolate bars, the cracked slow cooker and others. I don't do it often, but I try to make the email as factual and helpful as possible while in the end giving my name and address, since I presume they will be so kind as to reward me for my unique and thoughtful insight. {wink}

Question 2: What are your experiences writing companies? Better results writing or calling them?

I've told you before how much I love my library, especially the now defunct bookmobile. My counties libraries, which there are 7 of them have some wonderful resources, 3 of the libraries are within a 15 minute drive to me.  Next Saturday they having free admission to hear a harpist and flutist play and they have a free class on Biz Start-Up Basics offered by the local chamber for two hours.

They also have teamed up with Freegal and offer 3 free music downloads a week to add to my work out and bedtime music list. I realize that not all libraries do the same things, some less and other more. But I am very thankful for the little things that they offer to make my life a bit more pleasant.

Question 3: What about your library are you appreciative of?

3 Comments

  1. Mrs. J // Saturday, December 04, 2010 8:48:00 PM  

    Question 1: My husband and I are both students, and can not presently afford dental insurance. Instead, we take good care of our teeth by brushing and flossing every day. We've been discussing whether or not we want to get yearly exams without insurance.

    Question 2: I've never written a company, but after your post, I think I might start.

    Question 3: I love my library! We check out books on cooking and gardening. Occasionally, I've liked a cook book so much I bought it. It's definitely a nice way to try it before you buy it. And it's also a nice way to get access to a lot of information without a financial commitment.

  2. Dawn // Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:36:00 AM  

    @Mrs J
    Thank you for thoughts on the matter. And perhaps one day, tooth decay will be a thing of the past - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101203101341.htm?

  3. Julie @ The Family CEO // Friday, December 10, 2010 8:51:00 AM  

    My husband is self-employed so we've never had any good options for dental insurance. We've self-insured for many years and, I believe, come out ahead of what it would have cost us to have family dental on our own.

    You might want to look for a dentist who gives a discount for paying without insurance. My kids' dentist gives us a 10% discount.